Grilled Ribeye Steak au Poivre
- 4 Ribeye Steaks
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Cognac
- 1 container Veal Demi-Glace
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Recipe notesOur recipe makes bistro-style steak au poivre with an extra-crunchy crust easy to achieve at home. Grilling outside means it doesn't heat up the kitchen.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Season steaks on all sides with salt.
- Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or the bottom of a heavy skillet. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the steaks, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: Melt butter in a medium skillet, add shallots and sauté over medium-high heat until translucent and soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of cracked peppercorns. Add cognac. Cook, stirring, until alcohol is cooked off and mixture is reduced. Whisk in demi-glace. Simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, approximately 5-6 minutes. Hold over lowest heat while you prepare the steaks.
- Heat grill to medium-high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Lightly oil hot grates.
- Grill steaks for about 6 minutes on the first side. Using tongs, flip each steak to the other side and grill for another 6 minutes, or until desired doneness. We suggest medium-rare, which would register 125 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- Let steaks rest for 5-8 minutes before plating. While steaks are resting, remove sauce from the heat. Stir in heavy cream. Taste for seasoning and add a pinch of salt if needed. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.