Truffle Butter Gougeres
Yield about 24 gougeres
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 7 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Truffle Flavored Oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Recipe notesOur recipe for classic gougeres - that's French for cheese puffs - with black truffle butter is completely irresistible and a cocktail hour favorite. Please note that when adding all products to your cart, the quantities of products will be 1 each. Therefore, please adjust the quantities to accommodate your serving portions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with silpat mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add milk, water, truffle butter and salt. Bring to a boil. Add flour, all at once. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until dough comes together and creates a film on bottom and sides of the pot, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add truffle flavored oil. Finished dough should form peaks that droop over and be smooth and glossy.
- Drop 1 tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. (1 tbs. sized cookie scoop works well for this, or a spoon + wet fingers. Dough may also be piped with a pastry bag.) Top each gougere with a large pinch of gruyere. Season the gougeres with pepper.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, rotating pan once mid-baking, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.