Yield 2 cups SERVINGS
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Recipe notesA pat of Chef Marcus Samuelsson's compound butter is a wonderful finish for any meat right off of the grill. Or rub it under the skin of a chicken before baking for a moist and flavorful bird.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the cream until butter forms, about 15 minutes. (Keep your eye on the mixer; as the butter starts to form and separate, the liquid may splash.) Discard the liquid that separates from the butter.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter you just made in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Using the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the remaining butter until light and fluffy, then add the sautéed shallot mixture. Gently fold in the chives and season with salt and pepper.
- To store, shape into a log and wrap in plastic wrap; it will keep in the refrigerator for 10 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.