Chicken Drumstick Stock
- 4 lbs Green Circle™ chicken drumsticks
- 1 Spanish onion with skin, cut in half
- 1 carrot, cut in half or thirds
- 1 celery stalk, cut in half or thirds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4-4.5 quarts cold water
6-quart stockpot (or larger)
- Place the chicken drums in a large stockpot. Cover with water.
- Bring the chicken drums to a simmer.
- Skim the surface regularly, remove all impurities and discard.
- Clean all vegetables and chop them into large pieces.
- When simmering, add all vegetables, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for about 4 - 5hrs, do not boil the stock. This keeps it from becoming cloudy.
- Remove the liquid fat from the top. Leaving some is no problem - it’s extra flavor!
- Strain the broth with a chinois or cheesecloth over a strainer, and reduce by 30% (optional).
- Cool down.
- Keep refrigerated for 3 days or freeze until needed.
Uses for Chicken Stock
Homemade stock is a flavor booster, useful as a base for soups and stews. risotto and pasta dishes, and pan sauces. Stock can be used to braise cuts of meat like ribs, lamb shanks, chicken legs, pork belly, and more. Grains and legumes cooked with stock will have richness and umami. For instance, our cassoulet kit calls for chicken stock as the flavorful liquid that binds it all together.