Bison Bleu Cheese Burger
D'Artagnan | Yield: 4
Try our big bleu burger recipe, bursting with flavor from meaty ground bison, smokey bacon, and bleu cheese. These burgers are equally good pan-seared or flame-grilled.
- 4 Bison Burgers
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Porcini Powder, to taste
- 4 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 6 ounces bleu cheese, such as Roquefort, Point Reyes, or Gorgonzola
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 4 slices Jersey tomato, (when in season)
- 4 leaves butterhead lettuce, washed and dried
- 4 challah rolls
- Your favorite burger condiments
- In a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium flame, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, set aside. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat. Reheat the skillet over medium-high flame. Season bison patties with salt, pepper and porcini powder on both sides. Make a 2 inch diameter impression in the center of each patty.
- Place patties in the pan and cover with a lid or stainless steel bowl. Cook for 6 minutes. Remove lid and carefully flip burgers, continue to cook for 4-5 minutes for medium doneness. Remove burgers and allow to rest on a cutting board.
- Crumble blue cheese. Set half of the cheese aside. Put the other half of the cheese into a bowl, add heavy cream and mix gently until combined.
- Assemble burgers: place a bottom bun on each plate, then layer ingredients starting with lettuce, tomato and buffalo patty. Top each patty with 2 half slices bacon. Equally spoon blue cheese sauce over bacon, then top with the reserved blue cheese. Add sliced onion and top bun. Serve with duck fat french fries or your favorite potato chips.