Bub City's BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Berkshire Pork Shoulder, or Heritage Pork Shoulder, 6-7 lbs
- White vinegar, to taste
- Potato buns, pickles, and coleslaw, for serving
FOR THE SQUIRT
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE RUB
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Demerara sugar
- 1 cup paprika
- ½ cup cumin
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
FOR THE MEMPHIS BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup French's yellow mustard
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flake
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hickory smoke powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
FOR THE MEMPHIS MOP
- ¼ cup Memphis BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup apple juice
- For the squirt: Puree in a blender, then strain through a Chinois or other fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- For Rub: Mix all ingredients together then cover and refrigerate.
- For Memphis BBQ Sauce: In a large saucepot, stir together all the ingredients of Set 1. In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients of Set 2. Add the contents of the bowl (Set 2) to the saucepot (Set 1). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce and simmer slowly for 25 minutes. Stir from time to time to ensure the sauce does not burn. Sauce should be thick and coat the back of a spoon. Taste and season if necessary. Cool and set aside.
- For Memphis Mop: Mix together and reserve.
- For Pork Prep for Smoking: Inject the pork butt with about 2 cups of “Squirt." Thoroughly rub the meat with rub. Let the pork sit for 8 hours in the refrigerator, then rub down again with the rub.
- Prepare the smoker, start with four fresh cut “green” hickory logs. Place the butt into the smoker, cold. Bring the smoker up to 225 degrees F and maintain the temperature throughout the cooking time.
- Cook until tender, about 10 hours.
- Remove from the smoker. Brush the pork with Memphis Mop. Wrap in foil, then in plastic. Let rest in a warm spot for 2 hours before serving.
- Pull the pork right before serving, season with white vinegar, and more pork rub to taste.
- To serve: Toast potato bun. Top the bun with 5 ounces of pulled pork. Add in 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce. Serve with 4 pickles and your favorite coleslaw.