Balsamic Grilled Skirt Steak
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup olive oil, plus more for grill
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Outside Skirt Steak (about 2.25lbs), well-cleaned and trimmed into 4 equal sized steaks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a non-reactive bowl large enough to fit all four steaks, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, and soy sauce; add shallot, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Place the steaks in the marinade and turn to coat; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours.
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you start to cook. Remove from the marinade, brushing away any pieces of garlic. Discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and allow to come to room temperature. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- If grilling, preheat an oiled grill over medium-high direct heat. If cooking on the stovetop, heat about a tablespoon of oil in a cast-iron or similar heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear steaks until a nice crust forms, about 3 minutes. Turn steaks over and cook until they reach desired temperature, about 2-3 more minutes for medium-rare. Rest steaks for 5-7 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.
Recipe Tips: If cooking on the stovetop, use a screen to avoid hot oil spatter and cook in batches if necessary as to not overcrowd the pan - you want your steak sear, not steam. This marinade is also great on flank steak.