Baked Yams with Apple & Bacon
Yield 6 as a side dish SERVINGS
- 6 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 4 large yams, peeled, halved, and sliced ¼” thick
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, halved, cored and sliced ¼” thick
- 3 tablespoons Grade B pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into 8 pieces
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Recipe notesThe perfect yam recipe for both holiday and everyday meals. Sticky sweet yams and tart apples get depth from hickory smoked bacon in this tasty side dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a medium sized baking dish, set aside.
- Place the bacon in a cold, medium-sized skillet. Cook over medium heat until done but still tender. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Arrange slices horizontally in prepared baking dish, alternating yams and apples. Sprinkle reserved bacon evenly over the top then drizzle with reserved bacon fat and maple syrup. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over entire dish, season with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, for about 45 minutes or until yams are tender. Remove foil and broil until browned, being careful not to burn.
- Can be made ahead.