Bacon & Cheddar Scones
Yield 8 large scones
- 1 package Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more as needed
Recipe notesThis easy-to-make scone recipe is packed with flavor from our Applewood Smoked Bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, and fresh chives. Enjoy fresh from the oven, or split and fill with scrambled eggs for brunch.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper toweling. Coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
- With the rack in the center position, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and garlic powder.
- Add cold butter and pulse until incorporated, keeping some larger, pea-sized chunks of butter in the mix. Add cheese, reserved bacon, and chives. Pulse quickly, just to evenly distribute.
- Empty mixture into a large bowl. Add the cream and stir to combine. The dough should be shaggy but not too wet. It should stick together when squeezed. Add more cream, a tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat and shape the dough into an 8” round. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silicon mat. Cut the dough into 8 wedges. Spread them out on the pan, as they will rise when cooked. Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream.
- Bake until golden brown, about 22-24 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.