Quail with Roasted Sunchokes, Barberries & Pistachio
Ana Sortun | Yield: 4
Try this amazing, richly spiced quail recipe with barberries, pistachios, and roasted sunchokes.
- 6 Semi-Boneless Quails
- 2 tbs Baharat Spice Mix, see below
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 tbs barberries
- 4 tbs pistachios
- 4 large sunchokes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tbs ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 2 tbs dried mint, crushed through a sieve
- 2 tbs coarsely-ground black pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 whole allspice
- Make the Baharat Spice Mix: If you are using whole spices, grind first with a coffee or spice grinder. Mix all ingredients well. Store spice mix in an airtight container.
- Sprinkle the quails on both sides with salt and the baharat spice mix. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the quails and toss in a bowl until evenly coated. Tuck each thigh under each breast and arrange neatly on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Place the barberries in a small bowl and add the boiling water. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain well. Stir in the pistachios and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the sunchokes and sauté until just tender in the middle and lightly browned. Set aside and toss with barberries and pistachios. Spoon onto a serving platter.
- Heat the same pan and place the quail, breast-side down, and sear with a weight on top of the pan, such as a panini weight or a small cast iron pan. Cook for 3 minutes and flip over. Cook for another 3 minutes and arrange over the sunchokes on the serving platter.