This product is currently unavailable.
A capon is the perfect special occasion bird and is the first choice for the holidays in France and Italy. Capon meat is very white and, unlike that of other chickens, marbled with fat. Larger than a hen and smaller than a turkey, a capon is full-breasted with tender, juicy, flavorful meat that is well suited to roasting. Because of its size, the capon is a good choice to feed a dinner party or even a small Thanksgiving gathering in place of turkey. Our capons are humanely raised in free-range conditions with full access to open fields, and allowed to grow at a natural rate, with no growth stimulants ever used.
*Servings based on 1.25 pounds per person.
- Humanely-raised on small family farms
- Surgically, not chemically, caponized
- Free-ranged, with natural light
- All-vegetarian grain and corn diet, pure spring water
- No hormones, no growth stimulants
- Raised to 12-14 weeks of age
- Hand processed to assure quality
- Farm-to-table audit trail
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Product of USA
Cooking & Serving
Cooking Methods: Roast, Poach, Barbecue, Smoke
Cooking Tips: Capons require longer cooking times than typical chickens because of their larger size. A 7-pound capon will yield 6 to 8 single servings. If you make stuffing, allow 1/2 cup per serving. Be careful not to over stuff the bird. Cook any excess stuffing in a separate baking dish. When roasting, put the bird into the oven legs first to position the dark meat towards the back, the hottest part of the oven. Rest a capon for 20-30 minutes before carving.