Grits with Tasso Ham
Alison Attenborough | Yield: 2 | Cook Time: 30 minutes
Food stylist Alison Attenborough cooks creamy polenta with fresh corn and tops the finished dish with salty Tasso ham. It's the ultimate quick comfort food.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup stone-ground grits or polenta
- 1 ear corn, shucked and kernels sliced off
- 3/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- Coarsely-ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Tasso ham, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Whisk in the grits and lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the consistency is thick but still soupy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the corn and cheese, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the grits between 2 shallow bowls. Top with the ham and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.