’Artagnan Tasso Ham is lean, spicy cured meat that’s hand-crafted from pork shoulder. Our tasso ham is salt and sugar cured, then seasoned with red pepper, garlic, herbs, spices and hardwood smoked for rich flavor. A specialty of Cajun cuisine, tasso is typically used to season dishes like soups, gumbo, grits, rice, and gravies, but any recipe that needs a rich peppery kick and depth of flavor can benefit.
Read on for ideas and recipes using tasso ham.
Versatile tasso ham can be left whole, chunked, sliced or diced. It’s fully cooked and ready to use.
Just a Few Ideas for Cooking with D’Artagnan Tasso Ham
- Peppy Finger Food… Finely diced tasso ham adds spirited, spicy flavor to normally tame hors d’oeuvres like corn fritters, arancini, potato croquettes, and hushpuppies.
- Classic Cajun… Tasso is a requisite ingredient in traditional Cajun dishes like étouffée, gumbo, jambalaya and dirty rice, giving them the deeply layered, piquant flavor the region is known for.
- Take a Dip… A bit of chopped tasso gives creamy dips and fondues a rich, peppery bite and pleasing texture.
- Flavorsome Bowl… Many kinds of soup benefit from the addition of tasso ham. Chowders, creamy vegetable soups, and bisques get a fiery boost from finely diced tasso added in the last half of cooking. Use large chunks to season soups in the same manner as smoked ham hock or Parmesan rind. Try this method with split pea, bean, lentil and barley soups.
- Gussy up Grits… Tasso gives soul food staple shrimp and grits its signature snappy punch. Try a bit of diced tasso in creamy Italian-style polenta too.
- Mean Greens… A little tasso lends a lot of flavor to sautéed or braised greens. Add a few chunks to the pot when braising kale, collards, chard, or dandelion for smoky depth. Diced tasso gives a delicious tang to sautéed vegetables like green beans, peas, okra and Brussels sprouts.
- Incredible Eggs… Savory egg dishes like omelets, frittatas, and scrambles get a welcome hit of smoke and spice from a bit of tasso ham. For an extraordinary quiche add a bit of tasso to the custard then pour into a tasso-studded, buttery pâte brisée.
- Better Breads… Highly-seasoned, spicy tasso is a wonderful add-in to bread and bread-based recipes. Try finely-diced tasso in your favorite recipes for cornbread, drop biscuits, cheddar muffins or savory bread pudding.
- Snappy Seafood… Spicy tasso is the perfect accompaniment to briny shellfish. Add some to shrimp, scallop, langoustine, clam and mussel dishes.
- Sweet & Spicy… Sweet fruit and tasso ham is a deliciously balanced pairing. For a tasty bite at your next outdoor cookout, wrap a paper-thin slice of tasso around a chunk of pineapple, skewer, and grill. This works well with peaches and mango too.
Storage & Use
Our Tasso Ham is sold fresh and ready to serve. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to use, for up to 30 days, or freeze before the date printed on the package. When frozen in airtight packaging, tasso ham will keep in the freezer for several months.