Wagyu Short Rib Barbacoa
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 4-8
Our Wagyu short ribs are braised in a heady mix of spices and four types of chile peppers in this easy recipe. The spoon-tender, spicy meat makes an excellent filling for tacos.
- 4 dried ancho chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 4 dried guajillo chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried New Mexico chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 5 cups water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- ½ medium white onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 chipotle chile peppers in adobo, with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Neutral oil, we used avocado oil
- 1 Wagyu Boneless Short Ribs, cut into 4” chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the dried ancho, guajillo, and New Mexico chile peppers; toast peppers until warm and fragrant, turning constantly, about 1-2 minutes; add water and cook until chile peppers are soft and rehydrated, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers to a blender along with 2 cups of their cooking liquid, vinegar, tomato, onion, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, about 1 teaspoon salt, and a few grindings of black pepper. Pureé until smooth, set aside.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven (or other heavy ovenproof pot with a lid) over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper; sear the short ribs on all sides, working in batches if necessary, until deeply browned. Remove short ribs to a rimmed tray and set aside.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat/oil. Carefully pour in the pepper mixture and return the pan to medium-high heat; nestle the short ribs in the sauce and cover. Place in the oven and cook, turning ribs once or twice, until the meat is tender and shreds easily, about 3 hours. Remove the lid, give the ribs a good stir and continue to cook about ½ hour more.
- Remove short ribs to a rimmed sheet pan and shred with a pair of forks. Ladle as much sauce as you desire over the top. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of your choice.