Squab with Bacon-Wrapped Plums & Frisee
Marcus Samuelsson | Yield: 4
This squab recipe from Chef Marcus Samuelsson combines the rich game meat with smoky bacon, plums, and a grilled romaine salad for a flavorful dish.
- 1 1/2 cups plum wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 rough chopped, 2 minced
- 4 Whole Squab, breasts removed, the rest reserved for another use
- 2 plums, pitted and quartered
- 8 pieces Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 head frisée, washed and dried well
- 1 head romaine, washed and dried well
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch long, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- Combine a cup of plum wine, salt, thyme and chopped garlic in a bowl. Place squab breasts in brine and let sit for 2 hours. After 2 hours, lift out and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, wrap plum quarters in bacon and place on a preheated grill or grill pan, turning until bacon is crispy. Remove plums from grill and replace with frisée and romaine, grilling for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a pan, sauté garlic, ginger and sesame seeds until ginger is slightly browned and sesame seeds are fragrant. Pour in remaining plum wine, lemon juice, olive oil, sesame oil, jalapenos, parsley and chives. Stir and set aside.
- In a separate pan, sear the squab breasts for 3 minutes on skin side and 2 minutes on flesh side. Let rest for 3 minutes.
- Toss together grilled lettuce and vinaigrette. Spread out on platter and top with bacon-wrapped plum then squab breasts.