Smoked Ham with Apricot-Ginger Glaze
D'Artagnan | Yield: 10-15
Fresh ginger and a dash of cider vinegar cut through the sweetness of apricot jam in this easy holiday ham recipe.
- Bring the ham up to room temperature. We recommend removing it from the fridge at least an hour before you plan on heating it.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the ham in a heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the ham then cover tightly with aluminum foil. Heat in the oven until the internal temperature reaches about 140 degrees F. An oven-safe probe thermometer works well - poke it into the thickest part of the ham without touching the bone, or the center of the ham if cooking our boneless ham.
- While the ham is in the oven, heat the duck fat or oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ginger; cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add apricot jam, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook, stirring, until mixture becomes a syrupy glaze, about 10 minutes.
- Unwrap ham and brush with some glaze; raise oven to 475 degrees F. Bake, brushing occasionally with remaining glaze, until browned, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove the ham from the oven and allow it to rest, tented with foil, before serving.