Whole Semi-Boneless Free-Range Poussin
Small young chicken - each weighs about a pound - is known as poussin or spring chicken, and is perfect for serving one-per-person. The delicate, tender and lean meat will cook like chicken - only a lot more quickly. Our young chickens are raised on small farms in open barns with plenty of space and eat a clean grain diet, with no antibiotics or hormones added.
Just the facts
- Whole poussin, partially boned out
- Humanely raised to 3 - 4 weeks
- All-vegetarian diet: corn and soy
- No antibiotics, no hormones
- 25% less fat than commercially-raised chicken
- Serves one adult
- Product of USA
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast, Grill, Poach, Braise, Barbecue, Pan-Fry
Cooking Tips: Semi-boneless poussin can be cooked whole, stuffed, or very easily cut into parts. The mild flesh can take all manner of seasoning. Butter or duck fat rubbed all over the outside helps crisp the skin of these lean birds. Being semi-boneless, they are easy to pan-sear flat and then finish in the oven for a crispy result, or put right on a grill. Poussin are cooked when an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast and thigh registers 165 degrees F and juices run clear.