Cheese Stuffed BBQ Turkey Burger with Bacon
Yield serves 4 SERVINGS
FOR THE SPICE MIX
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
FOR THE BURGERS
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot
- Peanut oil
- 8 slices Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 24 ounces Ground Turkey
- 4 extra thick slices smoked cheddar cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large tomato slices
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- 4 burger buns
Recipe notesWe think this is the best turkey burger recipe ever: a spice-rubbed turkey burger stuffed with cheese and topped with crispy onions, barbecue sauce, and bacon. Perfection achieved.
- In a small bowl, stir together paprika, sugar, chile powder, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, and oregano.
- Make the crispy onions: place sliced onions and milk in a small bowl and turn to coat. In another bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon of the spice mix. Dredge onions in the flour mixture, tossing with a fork to coat. Remove onions to a plate, gently shaking off excess flour. Heat at least 1 inch of peanut oil in a medium saucepan until it reaches about 370 degrees F. Fry onions until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bacon on a rack set over a rimmed sheet pan and bake until crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside.
- With wet hands, portion the turkey into four patties. Place the cheddar cheese in the center of each patty, and pull the sides of the patty up around the cheese making sure the cheese is completely encased in the meat. Season both sides of each patty with the salt and pepper, then the spice mixture.
- Sear your patties using a pre-heated, lightly-greased cast iron pan until nicely browned on each side. Place the pan in the oven and continue to cook until turkey is completely cooked through. Internal temperature should read 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Rest the patties on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes.
- Dress the buns with barbecue sauce and tomatoes. Place the patties on top, then add bacon, more barbecue sauce and crispy onions. Place the top bun and serve immediately.