Veal Roast with Pancetta & Mushrooms
Yield Serves 6 SERVINGS
- 1 veal striploin
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces ventrèche or pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch lardons
- Neutral oil
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 package organic chef’s mix mushrooms, trimmed
- 3/4 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 container veal demi-glace
- 3 tablespoons black truffle butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Mashed potatoes, for serving
Recipe notesThis easy veal roast recipe with pancetta lardons, wild & organic mushrooms, and a silky pan sauce makes a fabulous meal for family or company.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prep the roast: Trim the striploin of excess silver skin and tie with butcher’s twine at 2-inch intervals to create a uniform shape. Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large oven-proof skillet or stainless steel roasting pan over medium heat, sauté ventrèche until fat has rendered and lardons are golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add about a tablespoon of oil to the rendered fat. Brown the roast on each side, about 6 minutes total. Place in oven; roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers 140 degrees F, about 20 minutes. Transfer roast to a carving board and rest tented with foil.
- Carefully pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of oil; place pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are golden brown and just cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Add thyme and sage, sauté about 1 minute more. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in demi-glace and continue to cook until mixture is reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in truffle butter and add parsley. Taste for seasoning; add salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Remove string from roast and slice against the grain. Place veal on a lipped platter, pour mushroom mixture over the top, garnish with ventrèche, and serve immediately with mashed potatoes on the side.