Peruvian Aji Verde for Grilled Meats
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: makes about 2 cups
Aji verde sauce is a popular Peruvian condiment, and easy to make with this recipe. With its bright color and vibrant flavor, this addictive green sauce is best served with roasted chicken, grilled meats, or empanadas.
- 2-3 jalapeños, about half of the ribs & seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Aji Amarillo paste
- 1 packed cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small ripe avocado (or ½ large), diced
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese
- 1 fresh lime, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To the bowl of a food processor, add jalapeños, Aji Amarillo paste, cilantro, mayonnaise, avocado, cotija cheese, lime zest and juice, garlic, and vinegar. Pulse until mixture is blended then process until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauce can be made several days in advance; store covered in the refrigerator.