Wild Scottish Grouse
Frozen / 12-14 oz avg
It doesn't get any gamier; wild red grouse is the game bird for true game fans. And it's not easy to find, which is why we are proud to offer it during the hunting season.
Just the facts
- Red grouse hunted in Scotland
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Serves one
- Grouse has the strongest flavor of all game birds
- Subject to availability (Sometimes hunters miss)
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Season: Stock is generally available September to February
- Note: Game meat may occasionally contain the shot. Chew with caution.
- Product of Scotland
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
The red grouse is only found in the United Kingdom, living in the unique habitat of the moors. Its characteristically lean, robust meat is prized by game connoisseurs; it has notes of heather, tundra and the grasses that the birds eat.
Grouse hunting season begins with fanfare on August 12 (known as The Glorious Twelfth) and ends on December 10 every year. The grouse hunt is a tradition that is highly anticipated in the Highlands.
Shooting only takes place if birds are plentiful enough, and their moorland habitat is managed by dedicated gamekeepers to ensure the future of these birds.
First timers should note that grouse has one of the strongest game flavors (and smells) found in any wild bird. We recommend cooking the legs (the strongest tasting part of the bird) separately from the rest of the bird.