- D’Artagnan exclusive milk-fed Yorkshire piglets
- Grown to 10 weeks and up to 70 lbs
- Fed a proprietary, warm milk formula, fortified with vitamins and minerals and carefully balanced fat content
- No added antibiotics, hormones, or growth stimulants
- Air chilled for concentrated flavor and skin which crisps beautifully
- Extra-white, creamy fat contributes to extremely tender pork
- Product of Canada
- Use frozen products within 1-2 days after thawing
The famous German dish schweinshaxe - with meltingly tender meat and crispy skin - is made with pork shank, pork knuckle, or pork hock.
It's easy enough to make, and much of the cooking time is hands-off. Braise the shanks in stock and water for a few hours, cool, and then score the skin. Roast for 90 minutes or so, and then blast at high temperature to crisp up the skin at the end. Reduce the braising liquid to make a sauce, and you'll have a very special dinner.
Exclusively raised for D'Artagnan by a single-family farm in Quebec which follows European protocols for cochon de lait, or milk-fed pig. The small-scale farm raises Yorkshire breed piglets in spacious barns with the greatest of care, nourishing them with a unique feeding program.
The piglets are fed a proprietary milk solution that is warmed to the temperature of mother’s milk, on a regular schedule that matches a natural nursing rhythm. This diet allows them to thrive and grow for longer periods of time, getting larger than the average suckling pig, while maintaining the tender texture associated with a much younger pig.