European Jumbo Quail
Here's something unique for the game bird enthusiast - and available only at D’Artagnan. Our chef clients get rave reviews for serving them, and now it’s your turn to experience the tender texture and incredible flavor of our European quail. Their prestigious certification is a sign of superior quality and guarantees specific growing and processing conditions; the quail are raised free-range on small farms in Southern Europe, without the use of antibiotics or hormones. Because they grow longer, they are twice the size of the average quail, and even more flavorful. Air-chilled and processed by hand, leaving silky smooth skin that will crisp up nicely when roasted, pan-seared, or grilled.
- Jumbo Coturnix japonica breed
- No antibiotics or hormones from birth
- Animal welfare certified
- Older than the average quail on the market for a bolder flavor
- 100% non-GMO vegetarian feed
- Air-chilled for full, concentrated flavor
- Silky smooth and dry skin that cooks up crispy
- Ships in an uncooked state
- Product of Southern Europe
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
- Subscription Eligible
Cooking Methods: Roast, Pan-Roast, Braise, Grill
Cooking Tips: Quail is versatile and will take all types of seasoning and marinades well. After seasoning, whole quail are easy to stuff and pair wonderfully with bread, grain, or sausage stuffing. Stuffed birds need to be cooked slightly longer than unstuffed. Be careful not to overcook. If using a dry heat method, like roasting, pan-roasting, or grilling, cook quickly until meat is slightly firm to the touch and juices run clear. Basting or brushing with fat will help keep the quail moist.
A cooperative of small farms in Southern Europe raises our Coturnix breed quail with certifications that signify superior quality from start to finish. The birds are not given any hormones or antibiotics from birth and are fed minimally processed non-GMO cereal grain. Humanely processed at 42 days, which is twice the industry average, the jumbo quail are air-chilled for maximum flavor concentration.