Chestnut Hot Chocolate
Yield Makes about 4 eight ounce servings SERVINGS
- 1 package Ready-to-Use Chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces quality dark chocolate (70% or higher)
FOR THE TOPPING
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon confectioner’s sugar
- Dark chocolate, for shaving
Recipe notesThis cocoa recipe incorporates the nutty flavor of chestnuts and is inspired by European-style hot chocolate - thick, rich and just sweet enough. It's a decadent treat with some toasted brioche for dipping.
- Place the chestnuts in pitcher of a blender. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, sea salt, and cinnamon. Heat until hot and slightly foamy but do not boil. Remove from heat then whisk in chocolate until melted.
- Pour half of the mixture over the chestnuts in the blender. Cover and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. Pour blended portion back into the saucepan and heat over low heat until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- For the topping, stir together heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar then whip with a whisk or mixer until soft peaks form. Serve hot chocolate in warmed bowls or mugs with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.