Lobster Rolls with Bacon
D'Artagnan | Yield: 6
The classic New England lobster roll gets a smoky kick in our easy recipe with the addition of crispy bacon.
- 4 live Maine lobsters, about 1-1½ lbs each
- 6 slices Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Smoked Maldon salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 20 finely chopped chives
- Softened butter, as needed
- 6 split-top hot dog buns
- 6 bibb lettuce leaves, washed and dried, thick rib removed if needed
- Set up an ice water bath in the kitchen sink.
- Bring an extra-large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Carefully add the lobsters, cooking until they turn bright red, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, carefully remove the lobsters and plunge them into ice water bath for about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the bacon: place the slices in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Cook, turning, until bacon is cooked through and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Chop fine and set aside.
- Twist off the lobster tails and claws and remove the meat. Remove and discard the vein that runs the length of each lobster tail. Cut the lobster meat into chunks, about 1/2 inch -3/4 inch. Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl and refrigerate until very cold, at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, mix the lobster meat with the mayonnaise. Season with smoked salt and pepper. Fold in the bacon, chives and lemon juice until well blended.
- Heat a large skillet. Smooth sides of the hot dog buns with the softened butter and toast over moderate heat until golden brown on both sides. Transfer the hot dog buns to plates, line each with a lettuce leaf then fill with lobster salad and serve immediately. Serve with Cape Cod style potato chips on the side.