Duck Fat Gaufrettes with Caviar
Yield About 10-15 hors d’oeuvres SERVINGS
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled
- 1 container (7oz) Duck Fat
- 1 cup peanut oil
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup crème fraȋche
- Farm-Raised Ossetra Caviar Malossol
Recipe notesIn this gaufrettes recipe, light waffle-cut potato chips fried in duck fat become the perfect crispy perch for cool crème fraîche and briny caviar.
- Prepare a small bowl of cold water with a few ice cubes. Using a mandolin with a waffle-cut attachment, slice the potato as thinly as possible, turning it 90 degrees after each pass to create a waffle pattern. Carefully place each slice into the ice water.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, melt the duck fat. Carefully pour in peanut oil and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Remove the slices from the iced water and thoroughly blot dry with paper towels.
- When the oil temperature reaches about 375 degrees F, fry the potato slices, working in batches and turning once, until golden and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining potato slices.
- To serve: Top each chip with a dollop of crème fraîche and crown with chilled caviar.