Duck Fat Caramels
Yield About 60 caramels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons Duck Fat, chilled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tsp sea salt
Recipe notesThe recipe for these silky, melt-in-your-mouth confections is from Laura Davis of the excellent food blog, Tide & Thyme. We think they’d make a lovely & unique edible gift during the holiday season.
- Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly butter the parchment.
- Bring cream, duck fat, vanilla, and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.
- Carefully stir cream mixture into the caramel (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Pour into baking pan and cool 45 minutes. Cut into 1-inch pieces with a buttered knife. Top each piece with a small pinch of salt, and wrap each piece in a 4-inch square of wax paper, twisting 2 ends to close.