Yield serves 4 SERVINGS
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil
- 4 slices Slab Bacon, about ¼” thick
- 24 ounces Angus Ground Beef
- Grainy mustard
- 4 pretzel burger buns
FOR THE BEER CHEESE
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces beer, we used brown ale
- 3 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon your favorite hot sauce
- Coarse salt, to taste
Recipe notesThis burger recipe brings the best of the Biergarten to your table, with a pretzel bun, thick-cut slab bacon, crispy shallots, grainy mustard, and our juicy Angus beef all smothered in beer cheese sauce.
- Make the crispy shallots: combine shallots and milk in a small bowl, turning to coat; let sit for about 10 minutes. In another small bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, smoked paprika, and cayenne; season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge shallots in flour mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Remove shallots to a plate. In a small heavy saucepan, heat an inch of peanut oil to 350 degrees F. Fry the shallots in batches, until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until done to your liking. Drain on paper towel, set aside.
- Gently form four 6-ounce patties, being careful not to over work the meat. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper. Cook your patties to desired doneness (we recommend medium-rare), using a hot oiled grill or pre-heated, lightly-greased cast iron pan. Allow patties to rest on a cutting board, for about 5 minutes.
- While burgers rest, make the beer cheese: combine cheese and cornstarch in a medium bowl, toss to coat; set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together beer, evaporated milk, mustard, and Worchestershire sauce. Being careful not to scorch, cook until mixture is warm throughout and is steaming. Stir in cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and smooth and mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Stir in hot sauce and season with salt, to taste.
- Toast buns. Dress with lettuce and grainy mustard. Add patties, slab bacon, crispy shallots, and top with beer cheese sauce. Serve immediately with extra beer cheese on the side.