Wild Scottish Pheasant
This item is currently not available
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Subject to availability (sometimes hunters miss)
- Stock is generally available from October to February
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Serves one
- Game meat may occasionally contain the shot, so chew carefully
- Product of Great Britain
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
- Subscription Eligible
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast, Grill, Poach, Braise, Stew
Cooking Tips: Wild Scottish pheasant has a mild game flavor and takes all manner of seasoning well. Pheasant are quite lean so when using a dry-heat cooking method, rub the bird with butter or oil and baste occasionally for added moisture. A pheasant can also be brined or barded with thin strips of bacon. A low oven temperature will ensure pheasant doesn’t dry out. A quick, shallow braise will also yield great results. Allow pheasant to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or serving.
Our wild Scottish game is procured at private weekend estate hunts organized exclusively for D'Artagnan during hunting season. The wild birds live on game preserves and great estates in Scotland, where they forage on the moors and in the forests. Their diet of berries, heather, and foraged tundra, along with constant exercise, gives their meat a distinctive flavor.
After the hunt, the birds are immediately processed in a facility supervised by European Economic Community Inspectors. The EEC inspection satisfies the USDA laws, so we are able to offer game birds despite the prohibition on selling hunted game in the United States. The birds are packaged and sent by air to arrive at our warehouse within just two days of the hunt.