Duck Confit Banh Mi Sandwiches
FOR THE SANDWICH
- 2 Duck Leg Confit or 2 containers Duck Rillettes
- 1 tablespoon Duck Fat (if using confit)
- 1 large baguette
- 1 seedless English or Persian cucumber, sliced lengthwise
- ⅛ cup fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems only
FOR THE CHILI MAYO
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or Asian-style chili sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Dash of rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE PICKLING LIQUID
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup water, cold
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ tablespoon whole coriander seed
- 1 ½ pieces star anise
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
VEGETABLES FOR PICKLING
- 1 bunch red radish (or 1 cello bag) thinly sliced
- 2 sliced fresh jalapeño peppers or Serrano chili peppers, seeds and veins removed
- ½ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups carrots, sliced lengthwise into 2” matchsticks
- 1 ¼ stalk celery, sliced lengthwise into 2” matchsticks
Recipe notesDuck confit is perfect for a Vietnamese banh mi sandwich with zippy Asian chili mayonnaise and quick-pickled vegetables. You can skip shredding the confit if you use our convenient spreadable duck rillettes.
- Remove the duck confit meat and a bit of fat from the bones. Shred and place the meat and fat in a small bowl, mashing to make a paste or rillettes. Or use our ready-to-eat duck rillettes.
- Cut the baguette into four equal portions, slice lengthwise so each portion opens like a book. Set aside.
- Place all of the pickling liquid ingredients into a non-reactive metal saucepot. Bring to a simmer while whisking occasionally to dissolve salt and sugar. Once salt and sugar are dissolved, remove from heat and cool.
- Gather all prepared pickling vegetables and place in a mixing bowl. Pour pickling liquid through a strainer over vegetables and let sit for 15 minutes. (This allows the vegetables to absorb the flavor of the liquid while retaining some of their crunch).
- Whisk the mayonnaise, chili sauce, and rest of chili mayo ingredients together until combined. Spread chili mayo on each baguette piece, to your taste.
- Divide the duck confit rillettes evenly between the four sandwiches and smear onto the bottom half of each piece of baguette.
- Layer slices of cucumber and cilantro on top of the confit.
- Strain the vegetables out of the pickling liquid and add to the sandwich. Close sandwich and enjoy!