Stuffed Morel Mushrooms
Yield Serves 6 as a canape
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 30 large whole Fresh Morel Mushrooms, cleaned thoroughly, ends trimmed
- Coarse salt
- 1¼ cup chicken stock
- 1¼ cup half & half
- ½ cup polenta
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley, divided use
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- ¼ cup Fontina, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
Recipe notesOur easy and delicious recipe for fresh morels stuffed with creamy polenta can only be enjoyed when this wild mushroom is in season.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add morels, gently turning to coat. Season with salt. Cook morels until just softened (they may collapse a bit) being careful not to tear or break them. Drain morels on paper towels and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock and half & half to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in polenta and continue to cook, stirring often, until polenta starts to “spit.” Turn heat down to low and continue to cook, stirring often, until polenta has softened, about 20 minutes. Adding a little water as needed to keep polenta loose enough to pipe but not runny (think buttercream frosting). Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley and cheeses. Season to taste with salt & pepper then remove from heat. Allow the polenta to cool to just above body temp then load into a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized round tip.
- Carefully pipe cooled polenta into morels, filling the cavities completely. Place filled mushrooms in a lightly greased gratin dish and bake until morels are slightly browned and crisped, and polenta is warmed, about 10 minutes. Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve immediately.