Whole Roasted Maitake with Miso Butter
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 4
This easy mushroom recipe roasts whole hen-of-the-woods mushrooms with a miso compound butter and yields both crispy petals and tender hearts.
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons sake (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ pounds Fresh Organic Maitake Mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together miso and sake (if using). Add butter; mix well until smooth. (Miso butter can be made several days ahead of time, just cover in plastic wrap and form into a log. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.)
- Arrange mushrooms in a single layer in a large cast iron pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Very gently toss to coat. Dot mushrooms with 3 tablespoons of miso butter. Roast, basting occasionally, until mushroom hearts are tender and petals are deeply golden and crispy, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with remaining miso butter and lemon wedges on the side.