Mussels with Chorizo & White Wine
D'Artagnan | Yield: 4 | Cook Time: 30 minutes
Try this quick & easy recipe for steamed mussels with spicy chorizo sausage in white wine. Serve this convivial dish with a generous helping of crusty bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 tsp piment d’Espelette
- 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes with juice
- 3 links chorizo, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Lemon, for serving (optional)
- Baguette, for serving
- In a heavy Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium flame. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and piment d’Espelette. Continue to cook about 3 minutes. Turn up the heat to medium-high. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and chorizo then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.
- Carefully add the mussels. Turn to coat. Cover, and continue to cook, gently stirring the pot occasionally, until mussels are opened and cooked, about 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with crusty baguette, a slice of lemon and your favorite wine.