Ham, Asparagus, & Wild Mushroom Strata
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 6-8
This cheesy casserole is part frittata, part savory bread pudding, and totally delicious. It’s also a great way to use leftover holiday ham. We specified boneless ham, but our bone-in hams or even smoked chicken will also work.
- 2 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ package Organic Chef’s Mix Mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1lb), trimmed and chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 cups diced Berkshire Pork Boneless Smoked Whole Ham or Berkshire Pork Boneless Smoked Half Ham
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Tarragon
- 9 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups half & half
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 8 cups thick-cut bread, cut into cubes
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon black truffle butter over medium flame. Add onion, sauté until translucent then add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have softened and released most of their water. Add asparagus and cook until tender-crisp then add ham and thyme, cook about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in tarragon. Cool.
- Grease a 9” casserole with remaining truffle butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Stir in ¼ cup of the parmesan and all of the cheddar. Add bread cubes and toss to coat completely. Let bread soak up the mixture for about 5 minutes then carefully toss again.
- Add half of the bread mixture to the prepared casserole then spread half of the vegetable/ham mixture evenly over the top. Repeat. (Strata can be made ahead up to this point. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to overnight. Remove strata from the fridge 20-30 minutes before baking.)
- Bake uncovered until custard is set, about 30 minutes. Cover with foil and continue baking until strata is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes more. Remove foil and spread remaining ¼ cup parmesan evenly over the top, bake until just melted. Serve warm or at room temp.