Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Pomegranate
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 6
This braised Brussels sprouts recipe has depth of flavor from cider, tart apple, and smoky bacon. It's a delight whether part of your holiday feast or a simple supper.
- 1 package Hickory Smoked Bacon, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Fat pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup fresh pomegranate arils
- Pomegranate molasses
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add shallot and Brussels sprouts to the pan, tossing to coat in the bacon fat; add thyme and red pepper flakes (if using) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook without disturbing until Brussels sprouts start to caramelize, about 5-7 minutes. Toss and continue to caramelize about 3-5 minutes more. Add water and continue to cook until Brussel sprouts are tender and water has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add reserved bacon and pomegranate arils, gently tossing to combine.
- Plate Brussels sprouts on a warmed platter and drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Serve.