Magret Duck Breast à la D'Artagnan
- With a knife, score the skin of the magret in a cross-hatch pattern, making the squares as small as possible without cutting into the meat. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place in a hot skillet skin side down and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 8 minutes, while continuously draining off the rendered fat.
- Flip over and cook for 4 minutes on the meat side. On a heated grill, finish cooking on the meat side for 4 minutes.
- Cover the magret with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Drain fat from pan, leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in pan. Sauté the shallots in the rendered duck fat until they are translucent.Add wine and reduce by half. Add demi-glace and reduce by half again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice magret in 1/4 inch slices. Lay slices on warm plates in a fan pattern.
- Spoon sauce over magret slices and serve with green beans and scalloped potatoes.