Wild Scottish Wood Pigeon
Frozen / 9-10 oz avg
This product is currently unavailable.
Wood pigeon from weekend estate hunts in Scotland. These truly wild game birds forage and eat berries and heather, and get constant exercise, which gives their meat a distinctive flavor. Wild wood pigeon offers a rich gamey flavor far more intense than that of domestically-raised squab. Wild game is only available for a limited season each year.
Just the facts
- Wood pigeon hunted in Scotland
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Serves one
- Stock subject to availability: generally from September to February
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Note: game meat may occasionally contain the shot, chew with caution
- Product of Scotland
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
Dressed weight is about 8 ounces; a whole pigeon makes a good single portion. The meat is dark and delicate, so overcooking will ruin it; be sure to serve it pink or rare. Wood pigeon can be pan roasted and flambéed for a simple and satisfying meal, and can stand up to strong flavors like prunes, figs, red wine, porcini mushrooms and juniper.
Often baked in meat pies or paired with the earthy flavors of root vegetables like celeriac or parsnip, wood pigeon is a versatile game meat. Lentils and other legumes served with a green salad make a good match, too.