Hot & Spicy Wagyu Burgers
FOR THE CRISPY JALAPEÑOS
- ½ cup neutral high heat oil, such as peanut or grapeseed
- 3 jalapeño peppers, sliced into rings
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYO
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
FOR THE SPICE RUB
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Wagyu Beef Patties
- 4 thick slices pepper jack cheese
- Bibb lettuce
- 4 burger buns of your choice
- Make the crispy jalapeños: pour milk over jalapeño slices in a small bowl. In a second bowl, stir together cornstarch and flour. In a small pan, heat oil to frying temperature (about 350 degrees F). Meanwhile, using a fork, transfer jalapeño slices to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Gently shake excess flour off of jalapeño slices then carefully drop in the oil. Cook until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and rest on paper toweling. Season with salt.
- Make the chipotle mayo: stir together mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, and a teaspoon of the adobo sauce until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the spice rub: in a small bowl, stir together paprika, ancho chili powder, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper, along with 2 teaspoons of coarse salt and 2 teaspoons of coarsely ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Season burgers generously on both sides with the spice mixture, gently patting the rub into meat to form a crust. Using a pre-heated and oiled grill or a lightly greased cast iron skillet over medium-high flame, cook the burgers to desired doneness (we recommend medium-rare), turning once. Just before patties are finished cooking, place a slice of pepperjack cheese atop each one. Allow patties to rest on a cutting board, for about 5 minutes.
- Dress buns with chipotle mayo and chilled bibb lettuce, top with burgers then crispy jalapeños. Drizzle additional chipotle mayo on top if desired. Serve with your favorite burger sides – we like our duck fat fries tossed in a bit of the spice rub.