Smoked Duck Banh Mi Sandwiches
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 4-6
Our easy banh mi recipe uses smoked duck magret and creamy mousse along with crispy, quick-pickled veggies for a deeply satisfying sandwich.
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup shredded daikon
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons store-bought Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, large stems removed
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, sliced into rounds
- 2 Smoked Magret Duck Breasts
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 small Mousse Basquaise
- French baguettes or hero buns (about 7-8 inches for each sandwich)
- In a small bowl, combine carrot, daikon, rice wine vinegar, and salt. Mix and set aside to rest, for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix sweet chili sauce, red curry paste, chopped garlic, and mayonnaise, stirring well. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place onion, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapeños in separate bowls for the table.
- Cut the smoked duck breast in ¼ inch thick slices across the grain.
- For each serving, slice 1 roll or 1 length of baguette lengthwise without cutting all the way through; remove some of the inner bread if it is very thick. Spread top side generously with chili mayonnaise, bottom side with the duck liver Mousse Basquaise and let each person add their own smoked duck breast slices and condiments.