Merguez Sausage with Harissa Sauce
D'Artagnan | Yield: 5
It's easy to grill spicy lamb merguez sausage and serve with a cooling yogurt dip spiked with harissa. Tuck the sausages into pita bread or a baguette.
- 1 package Lamb Merguez Sausage
- ½ cup labne or Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, optional
- For Serving: Diced pickled turnips, pita bread or baguette
- Heat a grill or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Cook the merguez until they are charred and crispy, rotating frequently. Remove the merguez from the heat and rest.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: stir the yogurt with half of the harissa then add the lemon juice and honey and season with salt and black pepper.
- Adjust the seasoning as necessary with the remaining harissa, or any additional lemon juice and honey, to reach desired spiciness. The sauce should have some bite. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Slice the pitas in half and slather the inside with the harissa-yogurt mixture. Place one lamb merguez sausage in each pita half. Alternatively, slice the baguette in half like a hot dog bun for holding the sausage. Sprinkle with pickled turnip slices and serve.