Yield 4 SERVINGS
FOR THE CANDIED BACON
- 8 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
FOR THE MAPLE MAYO
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Grade B pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 2lbs ground beef or burger patties
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, washed and sliced into rounds
- 4 Kaiser rolls, or your favorite burger buns
Recipe notesThis unique burger recipe gets a boost from tart Granny Smith apple, caramelized onions, and candied bacon. It's the perfect balance between salty and sweet, crunchy and soft.
- Make the candied bacon: heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay bacon slices on a rack in a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over each slice, using the back of a spoon to spread in an even layer. Season each strip with a small amount of cayenne pepper. Bake until bacon is cooked and sugar is melted, about 15 – 18 minutes. Allow bacon to cool on rack until needed.
- Make the maple mayo: in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, maple syrup, and brown sugar until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add onions, stirring to coat. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, dark, and caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Gently form four 8oz. patties. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Cook your patties to desired doneness (we recommend medium-rare), using a hot oiled grill or pre-heated, lightly-greased cast iron pan. Just before patties are finished cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese atop each one.
- Allow patties to rest on a cutting board, for about 5 minutes. While resting toast buns if desired. Dress buns with maple mayo and a generous portion of caramelized onions. Add burger. Top with sliced apple and candied bacon. Serve with your favorite burger side dish – we like kettle chips.