Chorizo & Potato Hash with Eggs
D'Artagnan | Yield: 4
This recipe has it all – a little spice, a little decadence, and a lot of flavor. It’s super easy to make and will satisfy the heartiest of appetites. Our duck fat is the secret to getting perfectly crispy, golden brown potatoes, so don’t skimp on that ingredient. Not just for breakfast or brunch, this dish also makes a fun dinner when served with a little salad.
- 1½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, ½” dice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Coarse salt
- 3 links Chorizo Sausage, ½” dice
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons Duck Fat
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced, for serving (optional)
- Cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Salsa, for serving (optional)
- To a medium pot add potatoes, enough water to cover them by 2 inches, vinegar, and about a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 5 minutes after the boil. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add chorizo and cook until a decent amount of fat has rendered and sausage is browned and crisp. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside. Place pan back on the heat and add onion to the rendered fat. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and add to the reserved chorizo.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and to the same skillet add duck fat to the chorizo fat and heat until shimmering. Add the drained potatoes and cook, turning occasionally, until they’re golden brown and crisp on all sides, about 15 minutes. Stir in paprika, cumin, and chili powder and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cook until mixture is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chorizo and onion mixture, toss to combine. Place the skillet in the warm oven while you cook the eggs to your liking. (A soft yolk is key here, so we recommend over-easy, poached, or sunny side up.)
- Garnish hash with cilantro and avocado. Top with eggs. Serve immediately with salsa on the side.