Spiced Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Yield Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 2 pounds Ground Lamb or Grass-fed Ground Lamb
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 scant tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Neutral oil
- 6 Greek-style pita or naan bread, warmed, for serving
- Arugula or baby spinach, for serving
- 4 Persian cucumbers, sliced, for serving
- ½ red onion, sliced thin, for serving
Recipe notesMake these spiced ground lamb kebabs in just minutes on the grill. They're delicious on pita with a little herbed yogurt and cool, crisp veggies.
- Soak 24 bamboo skewers in warm water for about 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, toss together parsley, dill, mint, and cilantro. Stir 2 tablespoons of the herb mixture into yogurt. Add lemon zest and about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add ground lamb, remaining herb mixture, garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, about 2 teaspoons kosher salt, and several grinds of pepper. Using clean hands, gently mix until aromatics are evenly distributed, being careful not to overwork.
- Preheat a lightly-oiled gas or charcoal grill to high for direct-heat cooking. Or preheat a lightly-oiled cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Form 12 slightly oval-shaped patties around 2 skewers each, about 5 inches long and 1 inch thick.
- Grill the kebabs for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reaches 135 degrees F for medium. Rest kebabs on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes. While the kebabs are resting, warm the pita.
- Serve 2 kebabs on each pita with greens, cucumber, red onion, and a generous dollop of the reserved yogurt sauce.