Filet Mignon with Blender Béarnaise Sauce
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 4
This simple recipe for Wagyu filet mignon with silky bearnaise sauce (made with our fool-proof blender method) makes a great special occasion meal.
- 4 Wagyu Filet Mignon Steaks
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Neutral high smoke point oil, we used avocado oil
- 3 eggs yolks
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- Remove steaks from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together vinegar, wine, shallots, and 2 whole sprigs of tarragon. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is syrupy and reduced by ¾. Remove tarragon; discard. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over high heat until smoking hot. Season both sides of each steak with salt and pepper. Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, swirling to coat. Sear steaks until nicely browned, about 2 minutes each side, turning only once. Place pan in the oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a steak registers 125 degrees F for medium-rare, about 5-6 minutes. Remove the steaks to a cutting board and rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, finish the béarnaise: Finely chop the remaining tarragon (leaves only) and set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add cooled wine reduction, egg yolks, and ½ teaspoon salt to the jar of a high speed blender; blend for about 20 seconds. With the blender running on medium-high speed, slowly add about half of the melted butter in a steady stream and blend until mixture is emulsified. Raise speed to high and slowly drizzle in the rest of the butter. Pour sauce into a warm serving bowl, stir in chopped tarragon. Taste for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if desired.
- Serve steaks immediately with warm béarnaise.