Eggs Poached in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Andouille & Peppers
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 6
Try our shakshuka recipe for easy one-skillet eggs poached in tomato sauce with andouille sausage. This slightly spicy Middle Eastern dish makes a hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package Andouille Sausage, in 1/4” slices
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 1 can whole San Marzano tomatoes (about 28 ounces), with liquid, rough chopped
- ½ cup water
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Bread or pita, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large (about 12”) skillet over medium flame. Add sausage and cook until some of the fat has rendered and sausage is nicely browned, about 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add onion and pepper, sauté until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic, paprika, cumin, and cayenne; cook about 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes and their juice and ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer. Add andouille back to the pan and continue to simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, add salt &/or pepper, if needed.
- One at a time, crack eggs into a ramekin then place on the tomato sauce. Repeat, spreading eggs evenly over the sauce’s surface. Cover the skillet and cook until eggs are just set, about 7 or 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with bread.