D'Artagnan | Yield: 6
This crunchy salsa is party-worthy. The addictive blend of charred red onions, wild mushrooms and garlic is finished with fresh cilantro and citrus juice. Grab the chips!
- 1 package Organic Chef’s Mix Mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, cut into four thick slices
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Light your grill or heat a grill pan over high heat. Separate the mushrooms by type. Chop the Trumpet Royal mushrooms into ½-inch pieces, or about the same size as the smallest mushroom caps. For the remaining mushrooms, trim off the root end and reserve the caps, halving them if necessary.
- Brush the red onion slices lightly with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook for four minutes per side, until the onions are nicely charred. Cool slightly then chop into pieces about the same size as the mushrooms. Set aside in a medium bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add the remaining three tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the oil is almost smoking, add the mushrooms. Do not move the pan or toss the mushrooms for at least one minute. Season them with salt and pepper and gently toss in the pan, cooking for two more minutes. Deglaze the pan with the sherry vinegar and let the vinegar cook down and evaporate. Place the mushrooms in the bowl with the onions.