D'Artagnan | Yield: 4
The breakfast burger is a bistro classic, although we’ve upped the flavor ante by using lean buffalo and adding zesty mayo inspired by our favorite morning cocktail. Don’t let the name fool you, this protein-packed burger is delicious any time of day.
FOR THE BLOODY MARY MAYO
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Tobasco, or other hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Celery salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Make the Bloody Mary mayo: in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, tomato paste, lemon juice, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth and well mixed. Season to taste with Tobasco, celery salt, and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until crisped, turning as needed. Meanwhile, season both sides of the buffalo burgers with salt and pepper. When bacon is finished cooking, drain on paper toweling and set aside. Remove all but about 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease, and reheat the pan over medium-high flame. Cook the burgers to desired doneness (we recommend medium-rare). Just before patties are finished cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese atop each one.
- Allow patties to rest on a cutting board, for about 5 minutes.
- Toast English muffins and dress with Bloody Mary mayo. Heat a good knob of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high flame. Cook the eggs to your liking (we recommend over-easy).
- Place tomato and bacon on dressed muffins, top with burgers then with eggs. Serve with your favorite breakfast or burger side dishes – we like field greens with a zesty vinaigrette and seasoned home fries with extra Bloody Mary mayo on the side.