Shirred Eggs with Bacon & Gruyere
D'Artagnan | Yield: 6
Creamy and rich shirred eggs are not only delicious but ridiculously easy to prepare. Perfect for brunch! Our Applewood smoked bacon and a sprinkling of Gruyere add a salty, smoky bite that will appeal to all of your guests.
- 6 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Unsalted butter, softened, for greasing ramekins
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons shredded Gruyere cheese
- 6 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 slices country bread, for serving
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper toweling. Chop and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a roasting pan large enough to accommodate 6 ramekins, add about 1 inch of water just off a boil.
- Lightly grease the 6 ramekins with softened unsalted butter. Carefully crack an egg into each ramekin, and pour 1 tablespoon of cream onto each egg. Sprinkle the cheese and bacon onto each egg.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until the egg is 'set' to your preference (about 7 minutes for runny yolk, 10 minutes for firm). Sprinkle with chives and season with freshly cracked pepper. Serve immediately with country bread.