Truffle Turkey Pot Pie
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: serves 4-6
Our truffle turkey breast brings earthy flavor to this easy pot pie recipe that takes just an hour to make. With loads of vegetables and a velvety sauce made with black truffle butter, it will become a comfort-food staple.
- 1.5 lb Truffle Turkey Breast
- 5 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece leek, white and light green parts only, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Duck and Veal Demi-Glace
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed but chilled (we used Dufour)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop turkey breast into ½-inch chunks. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the truffle butter. Add carrots, celery, onion, leek, and garlic. Turn to coat. Sauté until vegetables start to soften about 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use any leftover vegetables diced in even pieces.
- Push vegetable mixture to the sides of the pan, making an empty well in the center. Add remaining 2 tablespoons black truffle butter. When melted, add flour and stir well to combine. Cook flour mixture, stirring, until golden in color, about 2-3 minutes. Stir mixture into vegetables, coating well; cook about one minute more. Stir in milk and demi-glace and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until sauce thickens, about 5-6 minutes. Lower heat to medium; add the turkey pieces, stirring gently to combine. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Mixture should be thick and not soupy; if too thin continue to cook until mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture into a shallow oven-proof casserole. Unfold puff pastry and gently roll out to get rid of creases, if desired. Place pastry over the casserole, covering mixture completely, and gently pull pastry to hang over the sides of the dish. (Depending on the shape of your casserole, you may need to trim the corners of the pastry.) With a sharp paring knife, cut 3 steam vents in the center of the pot pie. Place the dish on a rimmed sheet pan and bake until crust is fully puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.