Foie Gras Jewels
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: makes at least 2 dozen bite-sized tarts
For this recipe, fill pre-made puff pastry cups with mousse of foie gras and top with colorful wine gelees. Use just one type of wine for a quicker canape.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a 2” cutter, cut out 24 rounds of puff pastry and place 2” apart on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Using 1” cutter (a jumbo pastry tip works well for this) score the center of each round without cutting all the way through.
- Bake pastry until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely. Using a paring knife, trace around the scored center of each pastry then press the center in and shake out the excess pastry, creating a vol-au-vent. (Vol-au-vents can be made a day ahead of time, if needed.)
- Remove the foie gras mousse from the refrigerator to temper. Load mousse into a pastry bag fitted with a ½” plain tip.
- Pipe a portion of mousse into the center of each vol-au-vent. Top with wine gelée. Serve.